Friday, June 1, 2012

The joy of giving: How much or how many



“Hey-lo.  Ho er yu?”

Those are sweet sounds to my ears, spoken by eight Mexicans who until a few months ago, spoke no English.

Now, three times a week, from 4:00 to 6:00PM, I meet with Maria, Avelino, Maria Belin, Eric, Angelica, Eduardo, Lettie, and Nubia, and do my best to teach my new friends my version of English.   It is one of the most rewarding things I have done since I retired four years ago.

The youngest in the class are the three teenagers who realize that to achieve their dreams of being successful, they must learn English.  There is the retired doctor from Guadalajara.  Her dream was to live on the beach and learn English.   There is the jewelry designer who realizes in a resort town, she needs to communicate with the tourists.  And the farmer who helps a friend operate one of those para sailing operations and wants to be able to communicate with his gringo clients.   They are all so appreciative and inquisitive.  Full of questions.  Full of anticipation.

English is not an easy language for native Spanish speakers.  In Spanish, all letters and letter combinations always sound the same.  In English, the same letter can have a different sound in different words.  Think yellow vs. llama, can vs. cane, wide vs. width.  Combine that with the fact 70% of English verbs are irregular.   If the past of walk is walked, why isn’t the past of run, runed?  Get it?

They always have questions … and good questions.  Last week, they were stumped over the difference between “how much” and “how many.”   In Spanish, one word (cuanto/s) covers both.   As best I could, I explained that how much refers to items that cannot be precisely counted … how much gasoline, how much money, how much milk.   How many is used for items that can be counted … how many gallons of gas, how many dollars, how many glasses of milk. 

And of course, they want to know the “dirty” words (actually, they already know them. They just want to be sure they mean what they think they do).  When we were talking about things you find in a kitchen, the word “fork” really threw them.

When I was working, putting together stories for TV news, I always would try to think about how my story of that day may help at least one viewer in at least one way.  Though sometimes a challenge, the reward would come when I would get a letter, or phone call or email … or sometimes a face to face encounter … with that one viewer saying thanks.

Now, rewards come in a different way.  Every week I thank the students, and encourage them by telling them how much they have progressed.  To which they reply, “No, tank yu.”  Today is my last class until the fall.  I am returning to California for the summer.  But we are exchanging email addresses, Facebook names, and phone numbers.  We will be in touch.   As much as they appreciate the help I am giving them, I appreciate them for making me feel so welcome as a guest in their country.  That is the Mexican way.




No comments: